The measurements given are for a Misses Size 4. Please substitute your own measurements
The skirt length is for a retro styled basic skirt circa late 1940s through 1950s. The skirt would be mid-calf length about 26″- 27″ long at Center Front for a woman 5′ 5″ to 5′ 6″ tall.
The instructions which follow do not have additional style ease added. The ease will be given for individual styles when new RetroGlam projects are presented. What follows are the instructions for the basic fitting shell. Add only as much ease as needed so that the skirt fits closely and can be pinned at center back for fit evaluation.
When a pattern is drafted for a particular style ease is added to the Waist and Hip measurements. The length from the floor is also adjusted for the finished skirt length.
See the page “How to Take Measurements” for instructions on how to take your own measurements. Included are examples of the taking of skirt measurements.
Pattern draft is shown without seam allowances. You may add 1/2″ seam allowances after drafting. Alternately, you can lay the pattern onto the fabric and measure out 1/2″ using a clear plastic ruler. Tailor’s Chalk is used to mark the cutting lines (non-wax kind). Dressmaker’s Tracing paper and a serrated tracing wheel are used to mark darts and grain lines.
Note: Sample Measurements are Misses Size 4. Please use your own measurements and perform the calculations using them.
Waist-to-Hip Length**….. 8″
Front Skirt Length……..43 1/2″-17 1/2″=26″
Side Skirt Length………44″ – 17 1/2″=26 1/2″
17 1/2″ is the height from the floor.
*Some women’s Abdomen measurement is larger than their Hip Measurement. If this is the case substitute the Abdomen Measurement for the Hip Measurement
**If you are using your Abdomen Measurement substitute the waist-to-Abdomen measurement for the Waist-to-Hip Length.
The reason for this is to allow for the maximum circumference of the rectangle to accommodate the largest part of the torso below the waistline.
For retro inspired styles, the height from the floor is usually 16″ – 18″ for a woman 5′ 5″ to 5′ 6″.
Adjust to your own height. Measurement is taken in high heels or shoes with a heel height that will be suitable for your vintage inspired outfit.
FORMATION OF THE SKIRT FRONT RECTANGLE
Make a rectangle applying as horizontal one-fourth of the Hip Measurement Plus 1/2″ (Example, 9+1/2″=9 1/2″ ) and Label A-B. As vertical the use Front Skirt Length (Example 26″) and label B-C.
For C-D use the same measurment as A-B. For D-A use same measurement as B-C.
1. From A to D apply the measurement Waist-to-Hip Length (example 8″).
2. From E, draw a horizontal line to vertical B-C to indicate the Hipline. Label Point F.
3. From B to A, apply one-fourth of the Waist Plus 1/2″ (example, 6″+1/2″=6 1/2″ ). Label Point x.
4. From A, apply half of the distance x-A to mark the Side Shaping (example, 1 1/2″ ). Label Point G.
5. The other Half (example, 1 1/2″) will be used for the formation of the darts. For example, the first dart (1″) is always a little larger than the second dart (1/2″) for a Misses Size 4.
6. Join Points E-G by a curve to form the Side Seam Line.
7. From D, going over Points E and G, following the Side Seam Line, apply the measurement Side skirt Length (example, 26 1/2″ ). Label Point H.
You can use a Hip Curve ruler to draw the hipline. When measuring a tape measure is best.
8. To place the first dart, mark the center between Points H and B. Label Point I.
9. From Point I draw a vertical line down 4 1/4″. Label Point J.
10. From Point I, to both sides mark half of the measurement to be applied to the dart. (example, 1″ for size 4, using 1/2″ each side) Label Points K and L. Join Point J with points K and L to obtain the first dart.
11. From Point I, to H mark 1 1/2″. Label Point M.
12. From Point M, draw a vertical line down 3 3/4″. Label Point N.
13. From Point M, to both sides mark half of the measurement to be applied to the second dart (example, 1/2″ for Size 4, using 1/4″ each side).
14. Label Points O and P to either side of Point M.
15. Join N with points O and P to contain the second dart.
16. Place Line B-C on lengthwise fold for front of skirt toile.