The hot days and high humidity continue here in Brooklyn, New York. I can’t move around the way I want and find it’s better to wait for a cool, dry day to resume sewing or any other creative project. I’ve also had another factor delaying the start of sewing my 1930s dress: the package containing my sewing supplies has yet to be delivered. The store I ordered the interfacing, dressmaker’s tracing paper and stay tape from used the wrong zip code. The package has to go back to them for relabeling and redelivery. Everything else about the address was correct. In a way, though, the delay is working out in my favor
Carol at bywayofthainks blog continues working on her V-necked cardigan while sharing the results of her research on the best ways to stabilize and finish such a neckline. This additional information is helping me rethink and refine my own approach. Once I start sewing I will post about what develops.
The green glass vintage belt buckle I thought I’d use has a flaw: there isn’t any prong. No wonder it only cost me $2.50! Since I’ve no idea how to create a metal prong for a glass buckle I thought I’d buy another buckle. I was very happy to find another vintage glass buckle at Etsy. Not only does it have a prong but it’s a similar shade of green. I’m very happy about that.
I also found some green glass vintage buttons that I will purchase. There are six of them and they are close in color to the buckle. I’m thinking of putting three buttons on each sleeve. They will be sewn along the vertical elbow dart along with thread loops to create a mock closure along the dart. Here are photos from Etsy along with links to the vendor’s shops.
Green Czech glass belt buckle from Pastoria on Etsy.
The buckle is from the 1950s but it has a kind of 1930s look to me. I think it will look just right with the style of the dress. It is from the Etsy shop, Pastoria.
Green glass buttons I hope to buy for the dress.
The buttons I hope to buy also are from the 1950s but I think they will work well with the overall look I’m working for with the 1930s dress. These come from the Etsy shop, Hampton House.
The package I’m waiting for contains an interfacing that should work perfectly with the rayon challis fabric for the dress. I’ve read that rayon is a tricky fabric to interface. You need a weight similar to the challis. The one I ordered fits the description so I have to be patient and wait for its arrival. I also need the dressmaker’s tracing paper. I don’t like using chalk or tailor’s tacks.
In the meantime I’ve got the supplies needed to make the all natural laundry soap. Again, I plan to wait for a dry, cool day before starting that project. I don’t fancy grating soap in the humid weather. I’ll post about that, too. I found an interesting description of how clothes were laundered in a novel I’m reading entitled “Candleford Green”. The story is based on the life experiences of Flora Thompson. She describes the people and daily life of the English countryside with a love and warmth to which she adds the wisdom of maturity as she looked back at the past. The washday scene from the story gives us an idea of what a big event this was. I’ll post the text soon.